COMMISSIONING OF OUR DEMONSTRATION PLANT
In the summer 2018, Nouveau Monde Graphite has put into operation its demonstration plant where the first tons of graphite concentrate will be produced and marketed. The plant is operational 5 day a week, 24 hours a day. It will produce 2000 tons of graphite concentrate over a biannual period and it will be supplied by the mineralisation of the West Zone deposit of the Matawinie graphite property, belonging to NMG.
The demonstration plant is located in the ancient Louisiana Pacific premises in Saint-Michel des Saints. Its operation serves the following purposes:
- To qualify NMG’s graphite products and establish a sales book;
- To test and improve procedures for commercial operation;
- To test innovative new techniques for tailings management and site remediation;
- To start training employees and raise local talent awareness of tomorrow’s jobs;
- Demystify mining operations with the community and local entrepreneurs
In 2018, the plant will switch to phase 2: two processes of value-added graphite products. These two processes concern expandable graphite (NMG-EXP9698) and spherical graphite (NMG-SG9995) for the manufacture of anode equipment for the lithium-ion battery market.
The plant will then be supplied with 3.5 tonnes of raw ore per hour to produce graphite concentrate, purified spheronized graphite and micronized graphite.
THE MARKETING STAGE IS A VERY EXCITING STEP FOR NOUVEAU MONDE. SINCE THE FACTORY’S PROCESS DIAGRAM HAS BEEN REFINED FOLLOWING THE RESULTS OF THE METALLURGY OPTIMIZATION PROGRAM, WE CAN EXPECT TO OBTAIN A VERY HIGH GLOBAL RECOVERY RATE.
– Éric Desaulniers, Nouveau Monde Graphite President and CEO